Wednesday, February 17, 2010

To paint or not to paint…

So, lately, I have been contemplating painting or staining our bathroom vanity cabinets.  They are sad.  And the grungy looking “antique” brass knobs are sadder.  My idea is to paint them an off white color with brushed nickel knobs or to stain them dark mahogany (like the rest of our furniture) with either oil rubbed bronze or brushed nickel knobs. 

In order to visualize what this might look like, I photoshopped a photo of my guest bath vanity.  Here is the before:

IMG_1471

Yes, I’m standing in the bathtub!  Yes, it’s a small bathroom!  And yes, that gold mirror definitely has to go!

Here is the stained version with bronze knobs and matching mirror:

cabinets stained

Please forgive my lack of photoshop skillz. :) But I think you get the idea.

Here is the stained version with (very shiny) nickel knobs:

cabinets stained nickel knobs

And lastly here is the off-white painted version with matching mirror:

cabinets painted

Okay, it’s voting time!  Which one is your favorite? 

The cabinets in the master bath are the same color and style, so this decision can apply to either bathroom.  Perhaps the painted ones would be better in the smaller bathroom to make it look bigger?  And the stained ones in the master?  Or does it need the contrast and impact of the dark stain in the small space? What do you think?

I’m also working on our guest bedroom lately.  I ordered new linens… and I’m trying to go with a yellow and white (with touches of light aqua?) color scheme in there.  Hopefully, when the bedding arrives on Friday, it will be perfect!  Then I can choose a paint color and get to painting over the cartoons on the walls.  I’ll keep you posted! ;)

signature

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Nick and I both vote for the version #2, the stained with (very shiny) nickel knobs. Keep us posted on the updates!

TA Guthrie said...

I vote for the white, makes the room larger..........