Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Spring Spruce-up (Outdoors!)

Lately we’ve been having some beautiful weather with warmer Spring temps.  That’s perfect weather for yard work!  The last two weekends found me spreading pine needles in the front yard.  After living here for 2 1/2 years, we’ve finally gotten around to putting fresh pine needles on the huge flower bed in the front yard.  Shame.

First I had to rake all the old “mulch” off the soil.  “Mulch” being dried leaves, old pine needles, a bazillion acorns, gum balls, sticks and debris that had been left to pile up over the past 3 years.  Whew!  After I finally got it mostly cleared, we brought in fresh pine bales.  Here’s a look at the transformation:

IMG_4650 IMG_4652

IMG_4651

IMG_4653

Very nice and clean looking. Now I just have to get to work trimming all the liriope and we’ll be set.  Here’s what it looks like today with some of the daffodils up!

IMG_4752

IMG_4754

I had a few pine bales leftover so I spruced around the mailbox bed while I was at it.  This poor flower bed has been neglected.  It has never been mulched, until now!  We have plans in the future to expand and reshape it, but for now a little spruce was a welcome change:

IMG_4756

I’ve added a few more Spring touches to the front of the house, too—a new welcome mat to replace our worn out one, a matching wreath (that I whipped up using everything yellow I could find!) and some blue pansies!  I can’t wait for Spring!

IMG_4654

IMG_4656

IMG_4763    IMG_4767

How are you sprucing for Spring?

 image FreeSpringClipArt

signature 

0 comments: