Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A New Old Kitchen Table

In my 2014 To-Do List, I told you I was going to refinish a secondhand table for the kitchen.  I actually completed the refinishing back in January.  And I had a couple chairs that we had previously picked up to go with it.  But, it just didn’t feel finished… so I put off blogging about it.  Well, clearly I am not motivated to sort out the chair situation (since there are only two of us and we really don’t sit in the kitchen that often) so I have decided to go ahead and show you the new table!

I had been looking for a pedestal table for the kitchen for some time, when I spied this one hanging out in my sister’s in-law’s shed.  Not good for table.  So I offered to take it off their hands... how nice am I? It was formerly painted yellow with a walnut stained top.   It’s a round table that extends to a large oval with a leaf added.  We brought it home and took it all apart so I could clean it and paint it.

IMG_20140109_131737_174

IMG_20140109_131744_961

This was my vision—two tone with white base and trim and a cherry top.  Like this one:

e7ee5430ec5641461d3e3c1c6de494ca

After sanding and cleaning all the parts, I primed and painted the yellow parts with semi-gloss white.  Then I darkened the stain on top with a couple coats of my favorite Bombay Mahogany polyshade.  Then I put two layers of polyurethane on the table top to finish it off.  After everything was nice and dry, we carried it upstairs and reassembled all the parts.

I pulled up my two cute chairs that I got at a discontinued chair store and that was that! 

IMG_6836

IMG_6838

I had some strawberries and this cute berry basket, so of course I had to set the table for a little snack. :)

IMG_6839

I am still looking for two more chairs in a similar style so we can have a full set around the table.  But I don’t know if I want them all to have rush seats or not… they are very comfy, but I worry that 1) they don’t match the top, 2) they will get stained, or 3) the cat will destroy them.  I’ll keep you posted…

IMG_6843

IMG_6840

So, that’s the new old table for the kitchen… I love it!  The old one was just ugly and we bought it from a consignment store when we moved into our first apartment.  It was time for an upgrade!  The old one went to live with my brother who had a perfect spot for it in his kitchen.

Here’s your side by side before and after comparison:

IMG_4751    IMG_6846

Ah, so much nicer!  :)  What do you think?  Okay, I’m off to eat some of those berries!

signature pink

1 comments:

Pizza Recipes said...

Appreciaate you blogging this