Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Purple Spider Web Pillows

Lately I’ve been highlighting the spooky purple and black decor for our Halloween party.  I revealed my fancy haunted mantel and also the raven’s feathery banister.  Well, today I whipped up a couple of spider web pillows to go with the color scheme in the front room and I’m back to share them with you!

This lovely pillow design at BHG inspired the project.  These pillows are made with black leather and silver paint.  So cool! 

image

Since I didn’t have any black leather, I decided to use some purple wool felt that we saved when we refelted a pool table.  I already had some pillow forms just longing to be used, so I pulled them out of the closet and cut out my pillow fronts and backs to the size of the form.  I made the backs with an envelope closure, so after Halloween I can slip these covers off and make regular ones for my Mama’s living room.  Or maybe some Christmas-themed ones!  Yeah, I just said the C-word.  :)

I found that my paint pen wasn’t wholly successful on the felt, so I opted to do a simple design of lines rather than filled-in areas.  I decided to do two spider web pillows like the one in the inspiration picture.  I drew the main lines of my design in chalk first, then went over it with a white paint pen.  Then I filled in the rest of the lines trying to make it look a bit wonky for fun.  Nobody likes a perfect spider web, right?  After my web painting was dry, I sewed up the covers and stuffed them with my pillow forms.  Here’s how they turned out:

Spider’s web 1:

IMG_7946

Spider’s web 2:

IMG_7949 crop

IMG_7949

I can’t wait to see how they look in the living room with all the purple and black!  Now I’m thinking we need a couple of silver vinyl ones to coordinate... or some black satin ones?

I’ll keep you posted…

signature

0 comments: