Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dead Like Me

In the quest for television shows that we can watch instantly on Netflix, Michael and I came across Dead Like Me and watched the pilot episode last night. The show got me thinking about things (I am so emo). And today I stumbled across this quote in a blog:

I believe that our mutual fear of death means something much more profound. Affirming, even. It means, although sometimes we forget or may not know, we are happy to be alive. We bitch and moan and rant and rave and throw tantrums and hate ourselves and "loathe our lives" and wish for this and that and if only I could lose ten pounds. If only we could afford that mortgage. If only I could fit in.

But at the end of the day, we want to be here. We want to make it. Make something. Make it better.

~Rebecca Woolf

So true. Just as I am struggling with my own neverending list of wants and neverendingly whining about day to day life, I am searching for a purpose. Something to make, and something to make life better.

If you're alive you've got to flap your arms and legs, you've got to jump around a lot, for life is the very opposite of death, and therefore you must, at the very least, think noisy and colorfully, or you're not alive. ~Mel Brooks

And at the end of Dead Like Me when the little girl ran off to "heaven"--a glowy amusement park at the edge of a foggy wood, I said to Michael, "I don't ever want to go there, even if there is a shiny Ferris wheel... Maybe, though, if you could come, too, that would be okay."

But for now, let's just jump up and down and be noisy.

0 comments: