Monday, July 16, 2012

Hooty Hoo! It’s an Owl Baby Shower!

This past weekend we celebrated the upcoming arrival of my nephew with an owl-themed baby shower for my sister Hannah and her husband Josh.  Come along and see the fun…

The invitations were the jumping off point for the whole party.  It’s featured below along with my antique toolbox full of hydrangeas… The invites introduced the owl theme and color scheme for the party.  It was a rustic/woodland/owl theme with pops of orange, blue, green and brown.

IMG_0715

Guests were greeted by a rustic welcome sign on the porch lined with orange zinnias.

IMG_0752

IMG_0754

Inside, the mantel was festooned with a banner and tiny owl figures lined the top.  A couple of pinecone trees add a bit of woodland charm.  The middle owl is a pillow I made for the nursery and the others were collected from various thrift stores and clearance aisles.

IMG_0721

This little blue one is from Hobby Lobby and it’s a bank!  My sisters collects piggy banks (and non-piggies as well). :)

IMG_0822

IMG_0825

The gift table featured a garland of nursery fabrics and poms in coordinating colors hung above.

DSC03195 crop

IMG_0758

More garland decorated the wall over the drink table.  And a chalkboard welcomed guests.

IMG_0746

Iced tea and lemonade were served in jelly jars tied with a twine bow.  Tiny flower arrangments in orange, green and purple were arranged in the same jars.

IMG_0760

The dining room was decorated with an owl garland of various clip art that I strung together on brown yarn.  More owls and pinecones decorated the top of the buffet.

IMG_0723

Baby letters hung with miniature clothespins adorned the dessert table which included chocolate coconut oatmeal cookies, chocolate owl cupcakes, and peanut butter fudge.  Yum!

IMG_0724

The cupcake recipe is from Duncan Hines, and I will admit that the originals are a bit more elaborate than my creations.  :) 

IMG_0725

IMG_0726

This little felted wool owl is from Joann’s.

IMG_0727

And this one was everyone’s favorite; it came from a local gift shop.

IMG_0728

The food table was in front and packed with favorites:  chicken salad sandwiches, pimento cheese, deviled eggs, sausage balls, black bean corn salsa, mini bagel pizzas, fruit and veggies and chips and dip.

IMG_0783

 

The center trays were fall leaf chargers by BHG with sprigs of cypress and pinecones scattered underneath.

IMG_0776

I made cupcake toppers that ended up being party picks, featuring owls and various “hooty” sayings. :)

IMG_0768

IMG_0763

The parlor served as activities headquarters with “Wishes for Baby” sheets for guests to fill out…

IMG_0730

Here’s a close-up of the wishes for baby.  We had a lot of fun with these.

wishes for baby

I left the baby name blank so people could fill in their favorite name/nickname.  Some of my favorite wishes from various authors were: “I hope you aren’t afraid of girls”, “I hope you are never too big for your britches”, “I hope you grow a moustache as big as your grandpa’s”, and one of mine: “I hope you see the 22nd century”.  :) 

I used birdhouses as an accent even though owls live in trees.

IMG_0732

The other side of the parlor was designated as “onesie decorating station”. 

IMG_0729

We had various sized onesies and markers and templates for everyone to decorate a onesie for the baby.

IMG_0735

When they were all done, we hung them on a couple of clotheslines.

IMG_0812

IMG_0828

My favorite was Josh’s creation:

IMG_0832

And this one is mine since my nickname for the baby is “Button”. 

IMG_0813

After eating and decorating onesies, we gathered in the living room while Hannah opened her gifts.

IMG_0794

IMG_0799

Her bounty included all the nursery bedding that Mama and I made.  Here is the quilt I designed and made complete with Bambi appliques.  Mama quilted it for me. :)

DSC03200

As guests departed, they took an owl cookie favor.  Thanks for “owl” the love! :)

IMG_0718

Congratulations Hannah and Josh!  Can’t wait to meet your little guy!

DSC03202

signature

0 comments: