Friday, August 21, 2009

Fantastic Foyer

IMG_7042 Well, that’s not a fantastic foyer… that’s just a ho-hum foyer.  That’s because this foyer is the befoyer (before foyer).  As in, before we moved in.

Our house is a split foyer; as you enter through the front door, you are greeted by a split staircase, half going up, the other half down.  And here, in the befoyer, you were also greeted by a tree.  Who doesn’t want to smack into a tree every time they open the front door?

Anyway, I digress.  Somewhere in the evolution of this house, someone came along that was enamored with hunter green (before that it was blue).  All the trim in the upper level was hunter green!  The door was hunter green and the shutters are hunter green.  The stair railings were too!  I would like to thank the realtor that said to these homeowners, “Paint the trim white.”  My arms also thank them.

Paint, they did.  Much to my dismay, they left the lovely shade of green on the front door and all the trim in the befoyer. 

There is a picture window above the front door which we love because it lets in lots of light.  What is not so great about this window is that it is 12 feet off the floor!!  Perhaps that is why they did not paint it? 

Before:

IMG_7029 Oh, and did I mention that not only was the door and trim green, but also distressed!  Like, sanded to look crappy… yeah… that.  (I can take a little distressing, as is evident in my work jeans and the back of the couch where Bandit sharpens his claws implements of human torture. hehe) 

After living with the green door for a while, I realized that a couple coats of paint could snazzy up the entrance of our house.   After priming with Kilz and slapping on two coats of white semi-gloss, I thought I was done.  A third coat is really needed to cover that dark green, but alas, I haven’t got around to that yet. :)  All the trim in the house needs a third (or second?) coat.  I’m sure we’ll get to that as we paint each of the rooms in turn.  So far:

Laundry Room … check

Foyer … check

Hmmm… progress is progress right? ;)

Here we go on beautifying the befoyer:

IMG_8472

IMG_8468 

IMG_8544 

That’s my Mama on the big ladder doing the window trim. (Thank goodness for handy parents with giant ladders that miraculously still fit into the foyer when unfolded.)

And now for the big reveal:

IMG_8957

IMG_8959

IMG_8954 

Ahh, so refreshing… and easy on the eyes!  I love the new clean look… how bout you?

signature

0 comments: